Imagine a day where the whole world celebrates happiness, the one thing that connects all humans together.
Visualize a memory where you felt your happiest self ever and embody that feeling throughout every cell of your body. “It does a body good,” seriously!
Why? Well, if you’re ever going to do it, today is a perfect day to start; it’s International Day of Happiness!
Aside from helping my clients with various marketing goals, I also occasionally coach clients to be their happiest and wisest selves. Without further ado, below are some very easy and impactful steps for a much happier today and tomorrow.
Just for today…Don’t Believe Everything You Think
You can be your own worst enemy by making up stories in your mind; nip those negative thoughts in the bud. You may be living with a constant negative thought without even realizing it. So, just for today, do your absolute best to eliminate negative thoughts as much as you can.
Below are some examples to help you along:
- “It’s hard” becomes “How can I make it easy?”
- “I can’t” becomes “How can I?”
- “I’m an idiot” becomes “Lesson learned, I’ll do better next time.”
- “Nothing is changing” becomes “I can change the following once I…”
The most inspiring and successful mentors I’ve had always took charge of their thought patterns and I am grateful to have learned from them.
Don’t pretend everything is just peachy when it isn’t. Believe in your ability to change, because no moment stays the same; you can change your reality for the better. Negative thinking can keep you from noticing big opportunities in front of you.
Adjust Your Environment
Although routine can be healthy and it certainly does keep you on track, spice it up with little changes that can make a big difference.
- Go outside, look at the sky, and breathe in the fresh air
- Go for a run in the park or walk instead of driving
- Call the person instead of texting them
- Start something you’ve been meaning to work on for a long time, even if you only have 15 min. to work on it.
- Listen to upbeat music (music can really influence our mood and our thoughts)
- Be Kind – Practicing random acts of kindness has been scientifically proven to increase one’s happiness.
- Open the door for a stranger
- Let someone pass you on the road
- Give a simple and genuine compliment to a stranger without expecting anything in return
- Remember to say “Thank you” and smile
- Tell someone you love what you appreciate and admire about them
- Call someone you’ve been meaning to call
- Feel proud of yourself for doing and being good
And most of all, be kind to yourself.
Happy International Day of Happiness!